Westward Ho Folks

This blog chronicled (via a diary and photos) a trip that Terry and his wife Stefi took across the U.S. singing in nursing homes. The trip has since concluded and we are now living full-time for the Lord in a mission, serving the needy and homeless.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rose Hill, Kansas

Yes, that really is a name of the town we performed at today. Rose Hill is about twenty miles south east of Wichita, Kansas. For those of you who are reading our blog and following our trip (from out of state), that may not mean anything to you. For those of you who are reading our blog from other countries, Kansas is located in the midwest of the United States. It is also the state where the famous Wizard of Oz movie was made. No, Dorothy and Toto do not still live here, but the yellow brick road is close by.
From the last time I was here (1997) Rose Hill seems to have grown, and there are two things significant about this town. 1) My mom passed away (in 1997) at the very nursing home we performed at today, and 2) The Rose Hill Christian church is where I got "saved" (in 1983) after a marriage failure and a failed suicide attempt.
I honestly thought I would get a little emotional singing at the Carriage House today, but I kept it together just fine. Believe it or not, there were some residents (and staff) there that remembered my mom...amazing.
The facility was absolutely gorgeous and the acoustics were outstanding...which made for a great show. I am singing My Way just great Stefi tells me. We also sing a fantastic Crazy by Patsi Cline...a real crowd pleaser.
Oh, I just about forgot to tell you that I had a dance partner again today...Sheryl. She was wheel chair bound, but that did not keep us from twirling around the dining hall. All the while she was grinning from ear-to-ear. How good was that?
Tomorrow we again have two performances...one in Clearwater, Kansas, and the second is in Mulvane, Kansas...another town I lived in for many years. Afterward we have been invited to my brother's for a BBQ.
Stay tuned!