Westward Ho Folks

This blog chronicled (via a diary and photos) a trip that Terry and his wife Stefi took across the U.S. singing in nursing homes. The trip has since concluded and we are now living full-time for the Lord in a mission, serving the needy and homeless.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Wichita, Kansas

It seems that our best laid plans may be taking a new direction.
This whole tour idea was a means to begin a new chapter in our lives. We have retired, bought the motor home, and wanted to pursue the American dream of traveling from coast to coast in it. After two weeks, we find ourselves stalled in Kansas...beeseeching the Lord what to do next. I (Terry) am from here, and have mentioned that I have family and friends here. My dad is 81 now, and his health is failing, so a decision needs to be made...do we stay, or do we go on?
Stefi has said she will be compliant to whatever decision I make, but I want what is best for her too. This particular part of the country is miserably hot, and the winters are bitterly cold. Unlike where would be living in New Mexico.
On the other hand, we can do what we do, wherever we are...spreading joy, love, peace and happiness.
Yesterday we performed at the Masonic Home, which is where my friend Birdie Martin has "existed" for over ten years.
Walking in, we passed by many folks sitting in wheel chairs, and I had no idea what she would look like. The director (Linda) came over and pointed Birdie out to me. Making my way over to her, I held her hand, looked directly into her eyes and re-introduced myself. Due to her having a stroke she could not verbally reply, but I could tell in her eyes she knew me.
We dedicated the entire program to her, and she nodded in and out while we sang. At the conclusion of the program, I went up and told her that I was going to her house to pet "Blackie," her favorite cat. At that, she began to cry, and said (somewhat) I love you...the connection had been made.
Tomorrow we are off to Sunflower Meadows for a show at a very beautiful facility.
Stay tuned!