Westward Ho Folks

This blog chronicled (via a diary and photos) a trip that Terry and his wife Stefi took across the U.S. singing in nursing homes. The trip has since concluded and we are now living full-time for the Lord in a mission, serving the needy and homeless.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Derby, Kansas

Another day we find ourselves in the town of my alma mater, and having a great time getting re-acquainted with both family and old friends.
As an example...I drove by Kountry Korner Kars, which is owned and operated by my old buddy Larry. While still living in Kansas, I bought several good (used) vehicles from Larry. He is an original midwesterner; complete with a cowboy hat and boots. His raspy voice also lends itself to this part of the country.
One thing I always liked about Larry was his calendars and a great looking ball point pen with his business name on them.
Sure enough, I barely sat down and Larry handed me one of each, along with a cold bottle of pop he keeps in a cooler.
He was glad to see me again, and very proud of the tour we are on. For certain, Larry is one of dem' good ol' boys you find in these parts...thanks Larry...happy trails.
Today's show was at the Vintage Place Assisted Living Center; and what a show it was. One nice thing is my dad is now going to all our shows while we are here, and he is loving all of them.
We started this show with Sentimental Journey, and ended it with Stevie Wonder's I Just Called To Say I Love You.
Did this place ever rock too, and most everyone sang every song right along with us...which always makes it an upbeat moment for Stefi and I.
Tomorrow we are going to Wichita, Kansas, and the Masonic Home. I am really excited about this show, because my old friend "Birdie" Martin has been a resident there for five years, and I know she will be glad to see/hear us.
Stay tuned!